Monday, December 17, 2012

Untitled

Part I:

Last Thursday night I was at my 9-year-old nephew's elementary school, doing what a person is supposed to do in December at an elementary school:  watching an adorable music pageant.  (This one was about a snowman and featured my nephew in a Significant Speaking Role as a TV anchor.  He was excellent, of course!)  My phone wouldn't let me e-mail the video file to my sisters, his other aunts, because it was too big, so there wasn't a lot of media coverage of this event.  I was at the school with my brother and his wife, her parents, my nephew who is 12, and my niece who is nearly seven.

Nearly seven.  Her birthday is next month.

Twelve hours later, everyone on earth with access to electronic media was hearing about another person at another school, and about twenty other children who were nearly seven as well.  These children will never celebrate their next birthdays, not next month, not next year.  And six women, educators who had probably planned to spend that Friday trying to keep holiday-frazzled kids focused on learning, instead gave their lives trying to protect their children.

There are not words to describe this tragedy further.

Part II:

I am not a gun person.

There were no guns in my home growing up.  My dad didn't hunt.  If any of my friends had guns in their homes, I didn't know about it.  I shot at a camping program a couple of times as an adult, and it was fun, but it's not like I had any urge to go buy a gun.

So I don't get the whole being passionate about guns thing, although I do get that lots of people are.  I pay enough attention to know that the Second Amendment has begun being interpreted by the Supreme Court to mean that certain types of gun restrictions are not Constitutional.  And I also understand that the existence of a law doesn't ensure strict compliance with that law.

(On a strictly practical level, however, I don't understand why anyone whose home is lived in or visited by children, or by adults with bad tempers and access to alcohol or other drugs, or anyone who hasn't completed SEAL firearms training and who is always home [i.e., they can prevent a criminal from breaking into their house and stealing the gun] - I don't get why anyone like that even WANTS a gun.  I've never understood how one balances keeping the gun safe [i.e., relatively inaccessible] with having it available when an intruder breaks in.)

But I respect that many passionate pro-gun people (some of whom are my friends) are very sincere and well-intentioned in their beliefs.

Same as me.

There has been a lot written and said in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook School shooting, some of it actually productive discussion.  The most interesting to me are the statements that are political - that is, people talking about the policy implications of this terrible crime:  the sense that this shouldn't have to happen again so maybe THIS TIME our country should do more than just talk, that perhaps President Obama and the Democratic leadership will take on a weakened-NRA and work with Republicans on policies (gun control, mental health, maybe others) that can reduce the likelihood that another community will have to face the same nightmare.  This conversation gives me more hope than I've had on the issue for a long time.

Gun control proponents have been narrowing their goals for years - I don't know that anyone in any sort of position of power talks about a handgun ban anymore, for instance - but now it seems that gun control opponents are beginning to see the danger in continuing to cling (yes, I said "cling") to an absolutist stance that the Second Amendment lets anyone own any weapon he or she could possibly dream up.

Rights aren't absolute.  Yelling "fire" in a crowded theater?  Not protected speech.  Apparently freedom of religion isn't absolute, either, since pastors in my faith (Unitarian Universalism) cannot perform legal marriage rites for same sex couples, despite the fact that we believe such marriages are the same as marrying opposite sex couples.  But that, as they say, is a topic for another day.  My point is that people can (and, in a democratic society, SHOULD) discuss what are reasonable limits on rights while still protecting the intent of our Founding Fathers.

So let's do that.

I hope people post thoughtful comments here.  And by "thoughtful" I mean written with the assumption that no one is in favor of policies that allow heavily armed crazy people to murder children and teachers in their school, regardless of one's position on gun control.  Personally, I believe that an assault weapons ban is absolutely a must and I hope that Congress works up the courage to pass such a law.  But I also believe that no good legislation can be passed until we can get past the shouting (either actual or metaphorical) and name-calling - and that begins with each of us.

7 comments:

  1. I am a gun person. I learned gun safety at an early age (8) with a B B Gun. My Father was a WWII Army Sargent. He believed in survival training for all of our family. I learned to hunt and got my first shotgun at age 10. I also learned to fish, camp, and cook at a camp fire. I learned that you do not leave a gun loaded, and never point a gun at anyone...but if you HAVE TO shoot to kill. This may sound uncivilized, but the world could become very uncivilized at any minute. I have a gun permit, and am legal to carry concealed weapons.
    All that being said...I am against automatic assault weapons for anyone but military and police. I don't think it is necessary for the average person. Legislation in that area would be fine with me.
    Making it harder to get a gun permit would not be. That would only serve for less people to have them (not guns). It is not easy for people to buy guns in the State of Indiana, unless you have that permit, and it is not easy to get a permit. Fingerprints, background checks, and a waiting period is required. Perhaps the laws we have should be enforced! People who have mental problems, and those who have broken the laws are not allowed to have permits and guns.
    I think there is so much involved in the tragedies that have happen not only at Sandy Hook, but at malls and elsewhere. I'm not sure what the answer is... But as others have said, if guns can't be had the crazies will find other ways.
    We just have to pray for each other...

    (Oh, I am a female over 50 and am not NRA.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ridiculously easy to buy whatever firearms you like in Indiana. There is no regulation of private sales. Just go to any the swap meets.

    I have guns, but I keep them locked up. And I'm not entirely sure where the keys are. It always takes me a while to find them.

    I'm not a very good shot, and the last thing I'd want to do if I encountered an intruder would be to start waving a gun at them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many children would have died if Lanza was carrying a musket? Is there any sane and reasonable person breathing on this planet who believes he could have slaughtered so many human beings if he weren't carrying semi-automatic weapons? Let the gun people carry the arms that their forefathers promised them. I'm sure manufacturers will step up and starting making muskets again. We live in a world where people react too quickly and too rashly, and having weapons of mass destruction at their fingertips is not a right that any sane and reasonable person can defend. - Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very easy to buy a gun in Indiana. Anonymous, I don't know where you are going but it took me about 20 minutes to get my gun. No waiting period, no fingerprints! I filled out a piece paper with basic questions and i think they did a quick background check based on that info. I also bought a gun at a gun show and that was even easier... all I did was whip out my cash. I agree though that automatic and semi automatic weapons should not be sold to the general public.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone believe the outcome would've been different if he had used the two handguns instead? Lanza tried to buy a gun and was denied from the reports I've read. His mom clearly didn't have enough sense to keep her firearms away from her son that with multiple mental illnesses who she had to quit her job just to take care of. The path to safety is SECURITY and not legislation unless you're advocating for an all out ban which has already been determined to be unconstitutional. Gun ownership has been on a steady decline for decades so I think an argument could be made that the publicity of these mass shootings is in some way perpetuating the violence. I believe this problem might have Just as good a chance at being solved through restrictions on the medias first amendment right to report these tragedies than attacking 2nd amendment issues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stop making bullets, let people own guns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many adults knew the shooter had serious mental health problems. Long known. Many ways known. To many people known. Access to the type of weapon increased NUMBERS, but this fellow would have found other ways to kill. From what I've read, the negligence of adults and the immediately surrounding community allowed him to become a killer. The signs had been there. And, when the moment came, he easily grabbed his mom's killing machine with full confidence in how to use it. Saying "no" to these machines is NOT the same as saying "no" to responsible gun ownership.

    ReplyDelete