Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fear of Flying

Five days in Seattle has been good. Not blogging for five days has also been good. I've thought about blogging for several days but haven't had a lot to say. And although it probably took me longer to learn this lesson than for most people, when I don't have anything to say I try not to say it.

And so now back on a plane, which serves as a reminder to me why most of this trip is about driving. There was a sign in the very long security line saying that 25% of TSA employees served in the U.S. military. I think the primary purpose of that statistic is to make people think twice before being rude to a TSA agent. It seems that it might be a good idea if such signs were everywhere. Something like "Support our troops? Then don't be a jerk, just in case you're talking to one." We could all use that reminder from time to time.

For instance, me, right now, as I wait for a Frontier gate agent to show up so I can get a seat assignment.

The one way that air travel is more enjoyable than driving is that you can read. I started reading Blue Highways by William Least Heat-Moon. The author lost his job and marriage and decided to drive around America on back highways. Luckily he was an English professor and is an excellent writer so the book is very good.  Lucky us: if he'd been an electrical engineer it might not have turned into a book.

Now the gate agent has arrived but they appear to be having IT problems. Maybe I was too quick to dismiss the value of electrical engineers. (Just joking; some of my favorite people are electrical engineers.)

Well, dedicated reader, I am going to sign off in the hope of getting a seat. I'll catch up with you later for a full report, when I have something interesting to say.

2 comments:

  1. Blue Highways is a great book! Enjoy. . . and some of my favorite people are EEs as well . . . sort of had to be . . . with 40 years in engineering. :-) Definitely do not miss all the air travel with the special attention from the TSA folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your support the military sign is brilliant. They should be everywhere!

    ReplyDelete