Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Unpredictable Nature of Adventure

Sorry for the radio silence this past week, dedicated reader.  I've been in Fort Wayne.  The original purpose of the visit had been just a visit but when he found out I was going to be in town, the Chairman of the Allen County Democratic Party recruited me to be a "secret surprise roaster" for a roast of Mayor Henry that the UAW was holding to raise money for its scholarship fund.  That event was Friday so I tried - with moderate but not complete success - to fly under the radar in order to maintain some hint of a surprise.  Of course "moderate but not complete success" is probably as good as anything gets, isn't it?

The event went well and I showed everyone a picture of the Hatch Municipal Building which seemed to impress them greatly.


No doubt that Fort Wayne, like every city, would be a better place if it had a three-story statue of Uncle Sam in front of its municipal building - preferably holding its major product in his giant white-gloved hand.  In Fort Wayne I think Sam would be holding an auto part or a military radio.  Hopefully the Mayor will assign some sort of task force to begin this important project.

Anyway, it's been a great visit.  This morning I am going to church and then headed south to Noblesville to see my sister and her family.

And next?  Well, the Driveabout has taken an unexpected turn:  I have a job interview in Ohio next week.  A colleague there called me about a month ago and although I'm not yet looking for a job this would be a great opportunity.  There are only a few gigs I would consider ending the Driveabout early for, and this is one of them.  Of course, this wouldn't end the Larger Adventure which is how I've started seeing the rest of my life.  It just would be a new chapter.

So please wish me luck and if it works out I'll give you details later.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,
    Sounds good - continue making a new pathway. Good luck in Ohio.
    Best Regards, Larry Zepp

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm selfishly happy for you Karen. The prospect of you landing so nearby sounds great to me..I hope it is a great fit. So, so nice to see you this time through--and you did a great job at the roast whether the surprise element was achieved or not!

    DEB

    ReplyDelete
  3. karen, you KNOW that i am always on your side....best of luck on the interview and if you feel you must, a message telling me about the job would be cool. xo, jini

    ReplyDelete