Sunday, January 13, 2013

Finishing Up Austin

On Saturday I found the weird part of Austin.  Although I stand by my previous statement that Austin considers itself weird only because they're comparing the city to the rest of Texas, when I came across SoCo (South Congress Avenue) I started to get it, a little bit.


After all, if you can't call an Airstream food truck with a cupcake on top a little weird, what word would you use?

There's a couple of blocks of vacant lots that have been turned into semi-permanent food truck areas.  In fact, when I first drove by, I thought it was some sort of festival.


I had a dosa, since that was something I'd never heard of before.  It's basically an Indian crepe made of fermented rice-lentil batter and filled with (in my case) potatoes and onions in a spicy tomato curry).  Very delicious and quite filling.


Across the street is another vacant lot with tents displaying the wares of artists and craftspeople - jewelry, mostly, but some clothing and other items.  That part had a truly 70's vibe to it:  a couple of old guys in fatigues who looked like 21st Century Rip Van Winkles, and several women who would have looked like earth mothers except they were more likely the granddaughters of earth mothers. 

There are a ton of restaurants and clubs and a bunch of shops in older buildings, mostly clothing but also a bookstore, antiques, lots of et cetera and a motel.


There was a huge crowd of shoppers and eaters, which you may or may not be able to see in this fabulous picture:


WARNING:  I am now going to make an observation and from it draw a conclusion which may be controversial in some circles, particularly among my friends in community development.

Observation:  South Congress is a very, very busy five lane thoroughfare.

Conclusion:  Lots of car traffic isn't the death of street-level retail.  If the stores are interesting enough, people will come despite the fact that the cars are whizzing by.

Tangential Judgment about Austin:  I know that people in Fort Wayne like to complain about rude drivers in Fort Wayne, due largely to the fact that people in Fort Wayne like to complain, but I have never experienced the large number of rude drivers as I did in Austin.  People cut you off when it would have been just as easy not to, and they'll basically back you down a narrow street rather than stop for you to go by.  (In their defense, they were usually on the phone and therefore too busy to worry about some little chick from Indiana in a Saturn Vue, but still.)  </end of rant>

There are some other funny things about Austin, as long as we're talking about the weird parts.  For instance, there's a Groovy Automotive, which in other communities might be called "Joe's Auto Repair" or "Quality Automotive."  Another is a billboard for David Komie, attorney at law, featuring a gigantic picture of himself.  What's so funny about that, you might ask?  Ah, but you don't know that Dave Komie is "The Attorney that Rocks," and that's what his sign says.  Plus he's a white guy with dreadlocks, and that's always a little funny just by itself.

And before I forget, if you are ever in Austin you should definitely follow the suggestion of the Roadfood people and eat at Threadgill's.  I ate at the one on North Lamar, which was where Janis Joplin waitressed many moons ago.  Great food - a surprising selection of vegetable dishes - and great music.  Very Austin-feeling.   Another fun place if you're on the southwest side of town is the Nutty Brown Cafe & Amphitheatre.  The food is good - I had a fresh salad and very good fried pickles - but mostly it's just fun to eat at a roadhouse that's called Nutty Brown Cafe & Amphitheatre.


Last but not least, I should mention the First Unitarian Universalist Church where I heard Rev. Meg Barnhouse preach. She came highly recommended and did not disappoint.   Her sermon topic on Sunday was forgiveness, and it was excellent. My favorite line was this: "self-righteousness is the root of all wicked behavior." Think about it.

And so, dedicated reader, I will leave you to ponder the nature of evil and self-righteousness.  Or dosas.  Your choice.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got to experience 'weird Austin.' It's a great town but the traffic and the cost of real estate make it hard to living in -- but still a unique and fun place. I know you already passed by Fort Worth -- it is as unique and fun as Austin, just in a cowboy sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like SoCo is either old or "deep" Austin? Fun.
      Did you find your bag? Love, Mom

      Delete
  2. <3 <3 <3 I love that place so much. David Komie made me LOL. I would totally hire him if I were in a pickle.

    ReplyDelete